-
December 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Included below are links to pictures of a model 14 woofer next to a model 9 woofer. The Model 14 is on the left and 9 on the right. Model 14 images precede 9 images of the same part.
As can be seen, both share the same frame. But the pictures clearly show a distinct difference in the foam surrounds. The Model 14 was just reconed by Bill. The Model 9 is an older foam but is identical to the new foam on another Model 9 woofer (see next posting). I?ve also tried to show the voice coils close up. The Model 14 is 1.5 inches and the 9 is two inches. The depth of the magnets is also different with the Model 14 shallower. I hope these pics can clarify some of the differences of these two great sounding woofers!
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q.../14and9top.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...nd14/14top.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q.../9nextto14.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...4and9foams.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...nd9magnets.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...and14/14vc.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...9and14/9vc.jpg
-
January 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Thanks for the pics. It's always nice to have pictures...
I have (5) model 14 LF drivers's. One is a recone from Bill H., 2 are NOS, and 2 are aftermarket recone jobs with "curvilinear" cones which just don't sound right to me.
I suppose the model 9 and the model 15 have the same driver because they share the same cone part number. I would like to know the theory behind choosing a 1.5" or a 2" voicecoil in these two different drivers.
Richard C.
-
January 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
"I would like to know the theory behind choosing a 1.5" or a 2" voicecoil in these two different drivers."
So would I! Strange to me there are no TS parameters for these woofers either, considering they formed a substantial portion of Altecs hi-fi lineup.
-
January 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Jim Butler:
...Strange to me there are no TS parameters for these woofers...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No time like the present Jim...hint, hint.
-
January 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
A bigger voice coil handles more power.
According to the guys at Eminence, it is actually easier to get LF response with the smaller coil, with a given magnet weight. It's been a couple years since that converation and I really don't remember the details.
-
January 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Another little twist to this...
Earlier versions of the Model 15 and Model 9...the woofers frame was made of stamped steel. Altec started using the cast frame around 1980. Sonically they sound the same...just different frame.
-
January 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Hey Mike,
Check a slightly earlier post where I put up some pics of the 2 different versions of the Model 9 woofers. Exactly my experience as well...no sonic difference detected between the two.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks